Featured Post

Family Heritage through Recipes

Here you can find a historical representation of our family heritage told through recipes and food.  Our family, as represented by the ...

Monday, December 25, 2023

Miso Glazed Salmon



Recipe Name: Miso Glazed Salmon

Story: I love salmon and I've had miso glazed fish before (cod usually). Honestly I prefer this miso glazed salmon vs. using a white fish.

Years you've been making it: Since 2022

Author / Creator: Simply Recipes, https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/miso_glazed_salmon/

Submitted by: Dustin

Ingredients: 
  • 2 tablespoons red miso or 3 tablespoons white miso
  • 2 tablespoon sake
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (less or more to taste)
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 4 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets
Directions: 
  1. Mix the miso, sake, soy sauce, and sugar in a bowl.
  2. Pour half of the mixture into a container large enough to fit the salmon fillets, then pour the rest over the top of the fish. Make sure the fish is coated with the miso sauce.
  3. Cover the container and marinate for at least 30 minutes, and up to overnight.
  4. Line a broiling pan with aluminum foil. Brush a little vegetable oil over the foil and lay the salmon fillets on top. Make sure there is an even, thin coating of marinade on top of the fish.
  5. Place the fillets no closer than about 6 inches from the broiler element in your oven. Broil for 6 to 10 minutes, depending on how thick the fillets are and how hot your broiler is.
  6. Keep an eye on the salmon. The marinade has sugar in it that can easily cause the glaze to burn. If it starts charring and the cooking isn't yet finished, place the fish on a lower rack in the oven.
  7. Serve with rice and stir-fried vegetables.
Notes: 
Since it is usually just me, I will only make 2 salmon filets (or one larger one), but I still make the same amount of glaze. I will also add about 2 tbls of neutral oil. I prefer to put the salmon in a ziploc bag, and then pour the marinade in the bag with it, this gives better coverage. Then I stick it in the fridge and rotate every so often. I find that it should really marinade for at least a few hours.

I don't cook this under a broiler, I prefer to have more control of the cook temp as I like my salmon between med-rare and med, going past this makes it dry. I don't normally have very thick filets, closer to 1.5 in. Preheat pan on med heat, add a little oil, and pan sear for about 2-3 mins on each side. Careful, the glaze has quite a bit of sugar, so it can burn easily. Some charring is fine, but you don't want it to be acrid. If you are using a thicker salmon, turn the heat down to med low, and you can even cover the pan with a lid (this will cause more steam and help prevent burning). I highly recommend a non-stick pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment