Featured Post

Family Heritage through Recipes

Here you can find a historical representation of our family heritage told through recipes and food.  Our family, as represented by the ...

Sunday, December 25, 2022

The Stuffing Recipe Story



Recipe Name: The Stuffing Recipe Story

Story: 

First - do not use this recipe as it is written!

The stuffing recipe was given to me by Millie Whittaker, John's mother early in our marriage.  We only spent a few Thanksgivings with Millie and John (father), so I don't have precise memory of the stuffing.  But I'm pretty certain that Millie did not follow it either!  Otherwise, it would have been overloaded with celery (and to some extent onions) and not much bread.  I think I would have remembered that!  Nonetheless, it has been my tradition to take out the recipe and put it on the counter while making my own dressing.  

I do use Millie's technique of sauteing onions and celery (probably in a ratio of 2 cups onions to one cup celery), in butter (I have not used margarine in many, many years preferring the approach of my mother - all things are better with butter!).  Then I add poultry seasoning (approximately 2-4 tablespoons, adjusting after adding the bread), salt and pepper (also adjusted after mixing everything).  I then add two loaves of bread cubes that had been sitting out since hte night before, and a couple of cups of chicken or turkey broth.  Mix everything together, bake at 350 for about an hour until crispy on top.  

It always works out and I'm convinced that having Millie's recipe watching over me is the magic touch!

Author / Creator: Millie Whittaker

Submitted by: Kristy



No comments:

Post a Comment